Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Can I get a Diet Coke with that?

This week is not dropping the lbs as quickly.  Well, maybe it is and I'm just weighing myself too often.  But, what I think is really happening if I'm being honest to myself is I'm riding the 7-lb weight loss win and getting too cocky.

I've done the calorie counting and portion control.  Used this site http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators, which has been helpful since I probably eat out way too often.   I've started to slip in probably too many sweets.  Ate that Hostess Chocolate Cupcake from back in Saved From Evil post two weeks ago.  I ate it in two days.  One a day.  NEVER buy those things again.  Sure it was within my calorie count for the day, but I'm sure the fat count wasn't.

We went to a southern bbq place.  The Husband has been watching too much Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives episodes and has craved it for a while now.  We've been to a couple that were big disappointments.  To the point where my brother, who we dragged with us to a couple, won't come.  Then through conversation a buddy of his mentioned a place that does the 14-hr slow cooking of meat.  Just like on tv!

We're off for a 30-minute drive on the 407.  We order some platter.  Ribs, pulled pork, and smoked brisket.  Now, I only have 2 ribs, a bit of pulled pork, and 1.5 slices of smoked brisket.  I ordered the green beans so I get my vegetables and it makes it ok for me to eat all this meat.  Hey, you gotta treat yourself right?

But, now we go again yesterday.  This time dragging my brother along again, who doesn't care for bbq btw.  We order ribs, pulled pork, smoked brisket, chicken, and of course I order a salad to fit in my veggies.

The scale doesn't lie.  I better smarten up.  Friday's weigh-in just around the corner.  No more McDonald's breakfast, even though I get no butter and no cheese on my Egg McMuffin.   No more meat platter with a side of veggies.

I don't drink pop, so a diet coke is just my metaphor for justifying eating like a pig if I get a side of something 'healthy'.   This could be for many things.  I paid my mortgage, so I can buy a $400 brand name purse.  I paid my insurance, so I can buy the $2000 low-pro's.  I put away some RRSP money, so I can do Europe vacation for 2-months again.

 

2 comments:

  1. I am one of those anomalies that actually likes and prefers Diet Coke.

    In other news, I admittedly have been eating increasingly more salads and less french fries - I have found that helpful. Plus you know what has helped too is Wii Fit - I know it sounds corny, but it is a lot of fun and if you give it a good half hour or 45 minutes it is well worth it. I like it because my wife and I can get competitive about it too, and egg each other on to work harder.

    Competitiveness does appear to be pretty key to a good diet/exercise regime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. And I do enjoy the Wii Fit. We don't have it, but my parents do. But, when I am there, we're typically playing poker. Gotta break away from the tables and get moving. Competitiveness definately motivates me. I'll giver a go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete