Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Easy Delicious Spinach Dip

I learned it from my dear friend from high school.  And it's so easy to remember that it's stuck with me all these years.  I get asked to bring this to every family function.  If you forget, I hear it's on the back of Knorr vegetable soup mix packages (although I've never seen it.  maybe only in the states?)  or Google "knorr spinach dip recipe" or the best option, book mark this post!

Ingredients:

  • 1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (If you can't find chopped, just chop it yourself after thawed and dry.  or use fresh by blanching it, then chop & use)

  • 1 container (16 oz or 2 cups) sour cream

  • 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's ONLY!)

  • 1 package Knorr vegetable recipe soup mix

  • 3 green onions, chopped (optional)

  • 1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional, but recommended...gives that extra added crunch)


Directions:

  • Combine all ingredients and chill about 2 hours.  (over night is better)


To Serve:



  • 2 round loaf of pumpernickel bread (pumpernickel is dark rye bread)



  • Hollow out one of the loaves of bread with a knife, cutting the bread you remove into 2 inch chunks for dipping. I have specified 2 loaves of the bread because if you just get 1 there always seems to be dip left over and no bread to use it up. Cut the second loaf of bread into cubes for dipping.



  • Place the hollowed out loaf of bread on a serving plate and fill the hollow with the chilled dip. Arrange the cubes of bread around the loaf and use them to dip.


OR



  • Serve with cut-up veggies like:

  • carrots (I use baby carrots so I don't have to cut)

  • celery

  • peppers (green,red,orange, whatever!)

  • cucumber

  • broccoli

  • cauliflower


OR



  • Plain chips (i.e. Ruffles with ripples.  holds the dip better, but use whatever you want)


NOTE:

  • I always put green onions. Lots of them (~5).



  • I never put water chestnuts, just because it's not always easy to get.  Still delicious.  And when you serve it with veggies, you get a crunch there anyway.


[polldaddy poll=4509342]

5 comments:

  1. whhhhhy are you telling the world ?!?! it's SECRET !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFLMAO! Oh Darling. I'm sure your peoples are not reading my blog. You can still claim it as 'yours'. Hey! want some pineapple upside down cake??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey hey.........It's not Nicole's secret recipe LMAO.........
    i can't believe you posted this one HAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear friend from high school, you know my dieting strategy. Why should I lose weight when I can just try and make the rest of the world fatter with delicious dip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] to mutual peoples.   I will do so also with your recipe. Otherwise, you can now be famous for Spinach Dip/Baked Brie/Pineapple Upside Down Cake/Rainbow Cupcakes/Layered [...]

    ReplyDelete